We often hear from parents, "I wish I could go to Ecology School!" Well, we have a program for you! Become a nature detective and explore the forest, beach, tide pools, & more with the children in your life! Join us as we travel throughout coastal Maine for a week of journeys and expeditions throughout Saco Bay or the Portland area, discovering tide pools, climbing mountains, canoeing through marshes, or riding a ferry out to the islands! Ages 5 and Up
Day rates: $45/child; $55/adult
Weekly rate: $130/child; $185/adult
10AM to 2PM
JULY 5-9, 2016 - Saco area based Camp - Great camp for beginners
- Tuesday: "Nature Detectives" Explore the Forest and Beach ecosystems, and learn how to fully utilize your senses to enhance your outdoor experience. Introductory activities will also be conducted.
- Wednesday: "Gone Fishin'!" Visit the Camp Ellis fishing village, and try your luck at fishing for crabs! If time permits, we will even venture out onto the rock wall jetty.
- Thursday: "Watershed Adventure"* Today we may discover the difference between Pond and Stream environments, venture out onto a Salt Marsh, or have a canoe adventure - let’s discover how water bodies connect!
- Friday: "Tide Pooling" Uncover the hidden secrets of the Tide Pools as we explore the East Point Audubon Preserve to find marine organisms living in this unique and extreme environment!
- Saturday: "From Bog to Beach" Experience the Ferry Beach State Park, including the rare northern reaches of the Tupelo swamp, accessed by an adventurous boardwalk. We’ll wrap up the week with a picnic lunch and playing on the beach!
July 25-29th, 2016 - Portland Area Camp - This is our more adventurous and strenuous camp
- Monday: "Nature Detectives" Explore Portland’s hidden ecosystem gems, including the largest waterfall in southern Maine! Introductory activities will also be conducted.
- Tuesday: "Famous Lighthouse Tour" Visit Portland Head Light, the world’s most photographed lighthouse, and Two Lights State Park. A Quintessential day in Maine!
- Wednesday: "To the Hills!" Spot the ocean from the biggest little mountain in southern Maine! Bradbury Mountain just outside Freeport affords rewarding views after a short hike.
- Thursday: "Eco-Explorers!" Today we’ll walk around an entire (tiny) island! Mackworth Island just outside Portland is a beautiful sanctuary in the middle of Casco Bay.
- Friday: "On the High Seas"* Experience Casco Bay via ferry boat! Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy our last day together on Peak’s Island exploring the tide pools there.
For more information about our Camp programs, please contact Camp Director Meg Edstrom Jones at MegATtheEcologySchoolDOTorg.